news
West Bengal defers CET for PG courses to 2014
22 Feb 2013

The West Bengal government has deferred the proposed Common Entrance Test (CET) for post graduate courses by another year, to 2014. All the state universities have been ordered to stick to the previously followed admission procedure.

Last year the government had proposed the idea of CET that was to be conducted for all state universities and autonomous colleges offering PG courses, to be implemented in 2013.

Bratya Basu education minister said, “We had plans to introduce the CET from this year. It would have solved all problems and put merit above all other considerations. But, we could not make arrangements within such a short span of time. We hope to introduce CET from 2014 academic session.”

The higher education department has also issued a circular making it mandatory for all state-aided universities to make available 40 per cent of their seats in postgraduate courses for students from other colleges or universities. The remaining of the 60 per cent postgraduate seats will be reserved for students from their own colleges. 

Earlier till 2011, most universities had reserved 95 per cent of their seats for students from colleges affiliated to them and only 5 per cent for those from outside.

“ To ensure meritorious students have an equal opportunity to find a subject and seat of their choice and allow mobility of the best brains to the centers of excellence, we have requested all universities to reserve 40 per cent seats for outside students with high merit,” said Basu.

“Since the universities enjoy some autonomy, they can hold interviews, conduct admission tests or select candidates on the basis of marks in their undergraduate honours courses. It is up to the varsities to decide on which method will they choose,” said a senior official of higher education department, reported Times of India.

Comments

Your comment will be published after moderation.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
Connect
Sign in using Facebook