Accreditation of universities is their health check-up: NAAC chief

Create: 09/13/2011 - 17:40

The director of National Assessment and Accreditation Council H A Ranganath has said that the process of accreditation of a university can be compared to a health check-up. He said that like the health examination of human body brings out areas of concern in the same manner accreditation help diagnose the academic loopholes in an institution.

He was speaking at the 31st Foundation Day lecture of Mangalore University.

“Accreditation of colleges and universities is akin to health check-up of educational institutions and will help reveal any shortcomings in their set up and goal of providing quality education,” said Ranganath.

Reminding Mangalore University that its accreditation has lapsed, he urged vice-chancellor T C Shivashankara Murthy, who presided over the function to go for re-accreditation at the earliest.

While speaking on the importance of basic sciences, he pitched for giving due importance to them at the under-graduate level and not sacrifice them in the name of liberalisation of education.

He said that students should be educated well in basics in sciences, humanities and social sciences at the under-graduate level before they went on to specialize. Earlier IT and BT waves completely sidelined importance that study of basic sciences got and this trend is continuing with NT revolution, he cautioned.

[Source: Times of India]

Comments

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I agree with Prof Ranganath that Accreditation is just like Health Check up.This has been highlighted by many of us while on Peer Team visits to HEIs.But at present many institutions are not going for Re- accreditation or even Accreditation.Even institutions like Mangalore University, which has taken the lead for NAAC Accredition has allowed its Accreditation to lapse.The million Dollar question is Why?I will submit that NAAC should ponder over this issue and come out with some solution.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I completely endorse the view of Prof. Ranganath that accredition is like health checkup,but NACC team must be vigilant at the time of awarding grade to colleges and Universities. The intellectual and infrastructural development should be kept in mind.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Prof. Ranganath has rightly pointed the importance of basic sciences, humanities and social sciences at undergraduate level. It is absolutely true that biotechnology, information technology and now nanotechnology have totally destroyed the study of basic sciences and social sciences in our colleges and universities. The phenomenon that every engineering graduate, irrespective of their branch, flocking like sheep to IT industries have also totally destroyed the engineering education in our country. It is a pity that the "employment opportunities" in India still exist in IT sector only for 20 % of our engineers. The remaining 80% of engineers are unemployed with their counterparts in basic science and humanities. There is no economic policy to provide employment to all educated youth. India is a middle-class society where education is a tool for earning livelihood for roughly 22% of the population. The remaining 78% of population according to Sen Gupta committee report, live with a daily income of Rs. 20 or less per person. These people neither worry about your accreditation process or teaching of basic science nor social science whatsoever. After 65 years of independence, our colleges and universities are serving mere 22 % of the population. Where is the question of holistic growth of people in an inequitable society that India is? In the name of economic liberalization we have created a "Frankenstein Monster" of highly exploitative social fabric with corruption, which pervaded all walks of life including education. First you try to end commercialization in education. Then create an education system which will serve all1.21 billion Indian people. Then we can think of accreditation of universities and colleges later in an equitable frame work. You are putting the cart before the horse. This will not solve the problem.

Health Checkup involves various tests and investigations by credible pathologists/radiologists/technicians so that the disease can be correctly diagnosed and then action taken by Doctors to cure the patient.
In case of HEIs, the tests are to be done by the institution itself by using their own faculty and officers/ staff depending on inadequate infrastructure. Results of such investigations will certainly be highly questionable. I've visited many HEIs as member of Peer Team. My experience exhorts me to say that NAAC should update itself by making comments about deficiencies in very specific terms and also suggest measures to be taken for course correction. Leaving the measures to the HEI is like asking a patient to try self-medication to cure himself.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Universities have soul and body. It appears during the process of accreditation, all kinds of make over and face lifting are done, but the question comes of real improvement in attitude and atmosphere. If you remove all the physical existence and what remains on the University campus is "UNIVERSITY". If the proper persons are employed who are devoted to the teaching and research, the NAAC shall become necessary only to varify that the required facilities are provided to the teachers and students or not.

while welcoming the view of Prof. Ranganath that accredition is like health checkup, and at the same time NACC team must be vigilant at the time of awarding grade to colleges and Universities. The intellectual and infrastructural development should be kept in mind.

About Author

India Education Review
India Education Review is a platform that aims to provide information and resources to senior educators nationwide. Carrying news, interviews, guest articles, case studies, information on training and developmental programs, scholarships and jobs, India Education Review is the platform of choice for the educator community in India today